With funding of $15.2 billion, India’s richest man Mukesh Ambani is all set to enter video conferencing app business during Covid 19 pandemic. JioMeet, a video conferencing app unlike Zoom, was launched on Thursday evening by the firm backed by Mukesh Ambani.
JioMeet provides unlimited free video calls with high definition (720p) to users and can support minimum 100 participants on a call. And that too uninterrupted for “up to 24 hours” long calls. The service are provided with no paid plans. No hints were given for plans to change that.
Not only free calls, JioMeet offers “enterprise-level” host controls like password protection on each call, multi-device login support (up to five devices), and ability to share screen and collaborate.
The features are not only limited to this. It also include switching from one device to another seemingly and a ‘Safe Driving Mode’ for the participants who are commuting. Meeting hosts can make the participants to ask for permission of the meeting hosts to enter a call by enabling waiting room feature.
The launch of JioMeet is launched for the feelings of tens millions people in India are working from home and using video conferencing services for work and to stay in touch with friends.
“Jio executives had also described JioMeet, as a platform that they think would some day have features to enable doctors to consult their patients, prescribe them medicine, and have a system in place to let them buy medicines online and get test results digitally. Similarly, they said JioMeet will allow teachers to host virtual classrooms for their students, with the ability to record sessions, assign and accept homework, and conduct tests digitally.”
How to initiate a JioMeet call
- To initiate the meeting, all you need is to sign up with your name and phone number, to get OTP.
- Now click on New Meeting option on the home screen.
- Choose if you want to keep Video on or off and generate a personal meeting ID.
- And Select Start Meeting
- Invite participants by clicking on participant option and then on invite. You can choose to mute or unmute participants when they join.
- You can send Meeting ID link via various platforms including messages, WhatsApp, Twitter, among others.