Game-centric smartphones are the new trend in the Indian smartphone market and companies are entering this space slowly. That’s why every leading smartphone brand makes sure most of their smartphones are capable of smooth high-end gameplay with top of the line specs that can beef with flagship devices. However, some companies break ground by strictly following the gamers and making game-centric devices that do no compromises with the performance. In our country, there are three smartphones built specifically centralizing on a different market. Also available all around the world, these three include Nubia Magic Red 3, Black Shark 2, and Asus ROG Phone. Usually always in the competition with the Android flagships, this year’s premium OnePlus device- the OnePlus 7 Pro has also been named as one of the best gaming devices available. In our Black Shark 2 vs OnePlus 7 Pro comparison, we saw how OnePlus flagship killed the gaming smartphone from Xiaomi.
Now that we have four smartphones on our hand, let’s do a comparison between all to see which is the perfect gaming smartphone available in the Indian market with perfect price too.
Being the latest entry in the competition, Nubia Red Magic 3 wins the battle of the price, starting from Rs 35,999 for its base variant with 8GB RAM and 128GB storage. Four among three devices have the 12GB model as their top-tier variant and that is also won by Nubia Red Magic 3 at Rs 46,999. Asus ROG Phone impressed everyone last year when it released but now it fails to attract customers due to its price of Rs 69,999 for only one variant with 8GB RAM and 128GB internal storage.
- Nubia Red Magic 3: Rs 35,999 (8GB+128GB), Rs 46,999 (12GB+256GB)
- OnePlus 7 Pro: Rs 48,999 (6GB+128GB), Rs 52,999 (8GB+256GB), Rs 57,999 (12GB+256GB)
- Black Shark 2: Rs 39,999 (6GB+128GB), Rs 49,999 (12GB+256GB)
- Asus ROG Phone: Rs 69,999 (8GB+128GB)
Though we cannot say any of them is less of a gaming smartphone, we can say that Black Shark 2 has a slight edge over its competitions when it comes to customizing game mode as per user requirement. On the other hand, OnePlus 7 Pro, being a non-gaming device, doesn’t offer much in the game-centric features like shoulder triggers or extra ports or accessories.
- Nubia Red Magic 3: Game Space 2.0, Built-in shoulder triggers
- OnePlus 7 Pro: Fnatic mode
- Black Shark 2: Ludicrous Mode, Black Shark Gaming AI, Performance Dashboard
- Asus ROG Phone: ROG mode, Air triggers, RGB lighting
Cooling Tech and Water Resistance
While all smartphones have high-tech and advanced cooling technologies for long gaming hours, only Asus ROG has the IPX4 water resistance certification. Other than that, many OnePlus 7 Pro users claim that the smartphone is water resistant to an extended level and just to save the certification value, the company sold it without any IPX certs. To back the claim, there are a number of videos on YouTube that you can check.
- Nubia Red Magic 3: No water-and-dust resistance certification, active liquid-cooling with turbo fan
- OnePlus 7 Pro: No water-and-dust resistance certification, liquid cooling system
- Black Shark 2: No water-and-dust resistance certification, Direct Touch Multilayer Liquid Cooling
- Asus ROG Phone: IPX4 water splash proof, AeroActive Cooler
This is one of the most important aspects of a gaming device and this is where OnePlus 7 Pro wins the battle from most of the devices. Visually-rich graphics are highly appreciated in the gaming world and OnePlus 7 is the only device with QHD+ display. Apart from that, all the smartphones have AMOLED panels with 90Hz refresh rate, except Black Shark 2 that is limited to 60Hz.
- Nubia Red Magic 3: 6.65-inch AMOLED FullHD+ display with a 90Hz refresh rate
- OnePlus 7 Pro: 6.67-inch AMOLED QHD+ display with a 90Hz refresh rate
- Black Shark 2: 6.39-inch Full HD+ AMOLED screen with a 60Hz refresh rate
- Asus ROG Phone: 6-inch Full HD+ AMOLED display with a 90Hz refresh rate
There is no comparison here as three of the four devices are powered by the latest flagship Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 chipset. Being a device from last year, only Asus ROG runs of the previous generation Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 SoC but that also beats others at cloaking speed. So we can keep this battle even.
- Nubia Red Magic 3: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 chipset
- OnePlus 7 Pro: 2.84 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 chipset
- Black Shark 2: 2.84 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 chipset
- Asus ROG Phone: 2.96GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 chipset
While Asus ROG Phone is out of this competition with only 8GB RAM option available, we have three devices that offer 12GB as their highest RAM offering. To divide that further, OnePlus 7 Pro has three RAM options including 6GB, 8GB, and 12 GB. But then again, what good are the three if you can get 12Gigs in Nubia Red Magic 3 at a much lower price point.
- Nubia Red Magic 3: 8GB and 12 GB RAM options
- OnePlus 7 Pro: 6GB, 8GB and 12GB RAM options
- Black Shark 2: 6GB and 12GB RAM options
- Asus ROG Phone: Only 8GB RAM
This is an interesting comparison since we have three devices again at the top with 256GBs of maximum storage offering. Asus ROG Phone only comes with 128GB internal storage option. But, what changes that all is a dedicated memory card slot of up to 512GB, which is only available in the Asus ROG Phone. All the other three do not have any dedicated memory card slot. This means that with a little more investment, you can have 640 GigaBytes on hand at once in the Asus ROG Phone that can carry a number of games as well as your personal stuff.
- Nubia Red Magic 3: 128GB and 256GB storage options, no dedicated memory card slot
- OnePlus 7 Pro: 128GB and 256GB storage options, no dedicated memory card slot
- Black Shark 2: 128GB and 256GB storage options, no dedicated memory card slot
- Asus ROG Phone: Only 128GB storage variant, memory card slot with up to 512GB capacity
We have a clear winner here as the Nubia Red Magic 3 which offers 5,000mAh and comes with fast-charging technology. Every other device on the list has 4,000mAh on-board with different fast-charging techs.
- Nubia Red Magic 3: 5000mAh
- OnePlus 7 Pro: 4000mAh
- Black Shark 2: 4000mAh
- Asus ROG Phone: 4000mAh
We can again see the difference of being a smartphone from last year as Asus ROG Phone runs Android Oreo 8.1 out-of-the-box whereas OnePlus 7 Pro, Nubia Red Magic 3, and Black Shark 2 are running the latest Android 9.0 Pie.
- Nubia Red Magic 3: Stock Android 9.0
- OnePlus 7 Pro: OxygenOS based on Android 9
- Black Shark 2: Android 9.0 Pie
- Asus ROG Phone: Android Oreo 8.1 with ROG UI
The front camera battle is won by the Black Shark 2 in megapixels but that’s not the case when practically clicking pictures from the device. OnePlus 7 Pro can give fair competition to any of the flagship level devices including the likes of Samsung Galaxy S10 and iPhone XS Max. While on-paper Black Shark 2 takes the crown at 20MP, we believe that OnePlus 7 Pro, being a non-gaming smartphone, has a better selfie shooter among all the four.
- Nubia Red Magic 3: 16MP with f/2.0 aperture
- OnePlus 7 Pro: 16MP with f/2.0 aperture
- Black Shark 2: 20MP with f/2.0 aperture
- Asus ROG Phone: 8MP with f/2.0 aperture
Only OnePlus 7 Pro offers a triple rear camera at the back and other flagship-level camera features that no other device sports. While all these smartphones are compared for gaming only, if we have to calculate on an overall basis, OnePlus 7 Pro leaves all the others behind.
- Nubia Red Magic 3: 48MP with f/1.7 aperture
- OnePlus 7 Pro: 48MP with f/1.6 aperture, 8MP with f/2.4 aperture, and 16MP with f/2.2 aperture
- Black Shark 2: 48MP with f/1.75 aperture, and 12MP with f/2.2 aperture
- Asus ROG Phone: 12MP dual-pixel image sensor with f/1.7 aperture
It is a stiff task to compare these devices considering their individual qualities and features winning from one another at different points. AppsToFollow thinks that Nubia Red Magic 3 is a great option for anyone just looking for a gaming smartphone. It can save you huge bucks and it is also capable of delivering you top-end gaming experience. However, if you want your smartphone to be more than just a gaming device and if you are willing to pay more for it, OnePlus 7 Pro is the best option available.