Cybersecurity or rather the lack of it is definitely a concern that governs almost everyone’s minds and very rightly so. As our lives are slowly but steadily going online, so is our vital information. Pictures, videos and many other serious bouts of information are easily available to a person who gets access to your profiles. As scary as it sounds and is, one cannot hide under the rock. Social media has now become quite impossible to avoid. And even then we shouldn’t be avoiding it for such reasons at all. But if hiding isn’t the answer what is?
Well, the threat will never be hundred percent clear. But we can take small steps toward securing ourselves. The social media sites also help us with the same. In an attempt to do the same Instagram has recently started a functionality called the Two Factor Authentication. Now, this is definitely not a new concept to most of us as we see it in other applications too, we will still look into what two-factor Authentication is, how it helps us and how do we secure our Instagram accounts with it.
What is this method? It definitely sounds fancy, doesn’t it? As the name very rightly suggests this method gives our account a two-layered protection. It doesn’t only rely on your password as it shouldn’t because passwords are such fickle security layers even our exes know it.
This two-factor method tightens this fickle security by adding a layer of security to it. This layer requires you to enter a special code every time you log in. But that’s just two passwords right? Wrong. The second code generated is a one-time code applicable only when you log in “ONCE” to a new device. The second time you log in to the same or different device the code will be different. This one time password or as we call it OTP is sent to you via a text message on the number that is registered or through a security application like Google Authenticator and Duo mobile with Instagram. This situation is quite similar to your lock and key safe which is secured by a code but doubly secured by your cupboard key.
How to secure Instagram with two-factor authentication code?
Having read this about the application security we’re sure you want to secure yourself right away and rightly so. Hence let’s move to the part where we explain how it’s done. Follow the steps below to secure your Instagram account using this method.
- Go to your Instagram profile and tap on the 3 horizontal lines on the right top corner of the screen.
- In the panel that opens click on the bottom of the page on the “settings” option which has a gear beside it.
- You will have to scroll down to see the “Two-Factor Authentication” option under “Privacy and Security” and tap on it.
- A screen will come up which says “Add Extra Security With Two-Factor Authentication” on this screen tap on “Get Started”.
- The next screen that pops up lets you choose your security method. Toggle the switch beside your favored option either “Text Message” or “Authentication App”.
- If you choose “Text Message” you will be directed to a page where you have to enter or verify your phone number.
- Once the phone number is verified and confirmed by you, you will get a text message on that number with a code.
- Enter this code into the given space and say verify.
- This completes your security update.
- After this, you will see a page where you get a set of 5 codes which you can use in case your phone isn’t accessible. Each code can be used only once. But more codes can be generated if needed in the future. It also gives you an option to screenshot this page.
There you have it. Now you are a bit more secure in this big bad world. Let the social butterfly in you soar out without the scare of the world.