In today days, we have seen that there are very few people who burn ISO images on disk and use them as the bootable media. Because USB drives have replaced them as they are a faster and easier method to install an operating system on the machine. While there are various tools with the help of which, you can make bootable USB, among which one is provided by Microsoft. Creating a bootable USB drive manually, we can also use the Command Prompt as the Window default program. To make a bootable USB, you may require at least 4GB for minimum capacity (larger capacity will be much better).
In the past decades, Microsoft Windows was initialed by DISC, CD or DVD-ROM or the floppy disk and also the optical data carries are gradually disappearing from the scene. Therefore, instead of the operating system, it is either pre-installed on the system partition of new computer or laptop, you must acquire the windows directly online, with the complete digital license. But, is there is a need for external installation medium, for that many people nowadays use the bootable USB drive. Because of it very convenient and faster and more compact than optical data carrier, so it the best perfect match to set up the system.
The Need of Bootable USB
There are lots of benefits for a bootable USB drive. The most crucial is, of course, booting the desktop, if it will no longer start itself. This is due to virus, serious system failure, defective hard drive or partition problems. The small piece of hardware is a standard solution to host a complete operating system or recovery system like a multi-virus scanner and use that success to reboot and repair the computer.
Even if no such PC emergency is available, it is the ideal option to have Windows image for data backup on the USB capable storage medium on hand. You may also use the bootable USB for upgrading windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 if the previously automatic upgrade does not function properly. The drive also serves as a clean reinstallation of the operating system, if that becomes too slow as the result of accumulated garbage.
Experienced computer experts and the IT professional also like to use the bootable USB as the portable operating system. With this, you can use your preferred windows version with all your favorite tools and the personal data on the foreign computer without having to fuss with the operating system already installed. This way, you cannot only navigate in your familiar work environment but also access the entire essential document with the help of cloud. A portable operating system may also offer more security in case a key logger store your passwords or your computer is infected with the virus.
The all possible uses for the bootable USB drive are given below as:
- You must boot is after the PC emergency
- To repair your PC, you must use a recovery system
- Store an image of the operating image as required
- You must upgrade an old operating system to windows 10
- The reinstallation of the operating system must be done cleanly
- You must use the portal operating system on the foreign computer
How to make a Bootable USB
Hardly, any commercial USB drive is suitable to form the outset for these diverse tasks. This is because there are most of the models which are only loaded with a single file system when you first get them. Ex: a FAT32 or exFAT file system. They are missing the master boot record which is absolutely important to boost most PCs. All you have to do is to make a new USB stick bootable on your own. The bootable USB drive can, of course, be created on different computers than the one you one you require to use it later on. There are basically two possible methods such as either this can be done manually or sung the automated tools. The first option seems a bit more complicated than the first glance because there are various manual steps which are slightly more error prone, but it is still doable even if you are not an expert.
Regardless of all these things and the option that you will choose, you always need the following things while you make a bootable USB:
- The windows utility program diskParyt or an external tool with the same function.
- A USB drive with at least 4GB of storage or at least 8GB of storage. To obtain high working speed, the selected drive must support the standard USB 3.0. If the drive is already being used, then you must make sure that it does not contain any crucial or indispensable data.
- An ISO file is needed for the desired operating system which contains all the setup files that you may require for installation. These files are used to be found on CD or DVD ROM that came with the new installation. Today, windows are generally preinstalled on the system partition of the matching PC or laptop. Therefore, it is simpler to just download the required operating system from the internet.
There are many ways to do the same without using any software for it. All you required is to fire up Command Prompt and follow the simple instructions given further in this article:
- Start the Microsoft media creation tool after the download; you have to select the option “Create installation media for another PC”.
- In regards to the media to use, select “ISO file”. Now, you can create the bootable USB drive for Windows 10 disc in the media creation tool.
- This tool will automatically download the ISO file from Windows 10. This entire process can take up a while since the image is several gigabytes large.
- Now, you have the option to burn the downloaded ISO file to DVD. But you can simply click on the “Finish” Button instead of doing all that.
Creating a bootable USB is generally a tricky one. But, hoping that all the above details written in this article may help you to get clearly understand how to make a bootable USB drive for your system.