A Portable Document Format (PDF) is a file that has all the elements of a document captured in the form of an image that can be navigated, viewed or printed. The purpose of this file format is that all the users should be able to review and take printouts of the documents that are saved in PDF. However, it is difficult to edit a PDF file and its readers are required to open a PDF file.
Methods to edit PDF files
There are different methods with which a PDF file can be edited:
Steps to edit a PDF using Adobe Acrobat
- Open the file that you want to edit in Acrobat.
- In the right pane, there is an “Edit PDF” tool, click on it.
- Select the image or text that needs to be edited.
- Acrobat will display the tools that you will need to edit.
- Then you need an edit or add the text on the page.
- After editing, you can resize the elements by clicking and dragging on them.
- You can also resize, replace, move and add the images in the document by using the “Objects” list.
- Further, you can click on Watermark, Link, Headers as well as Footers if you want to make more changes to your PDF file.
Steps to edit a PDF file using Google Docs
- Open the Google docs page.
- Then click on NEW and upload the document that you want to edit on the drive.
- Right-click on the file once it is uploaded and click on “ Open with”.
- Then click on “Google Docs” and a new tab will open in the web browser.
- You can easily edit the content under this tab.
Steps to edit a PDF file online for free
- Choose a PDF file that you want to edit.
- Then upload the file from the computer or you can also drag your PDF file in the document dropzone.
- Now, your PDF can be easily edited once you click on the checkbox in front of the name of the file and then go to the “Edit tab” and click on the “Edit PDF” option.
- Once you have completed editing your file, you can download it.
Steps to edit a PDF file in MS Word
- Firstly, open MS Word
- Then go to File and click on “Open”.
- Browse the file from the computer that you want to edit.
- PDF file chosen by you will be automatically converted to an editable document by MS Word.
- Now you can easily make the required changes and then save the file by clicking on “Save as”.
Steps to edit a PDF file on Mac
- Firstly, the PDF document needs to be opened in the Preview App.
- Then click on the tools option at the top of the screen on the Menu bar.
- You will see the “Annotate” option on the drop-down menu, click on it.
- Then click on the “text” option.
- Now text can be dragged to the appropriate position on the document.
- Click on “A” on the right of the toolbar and you can edit or add the text in the document.
- Then click on “Tools” on the menu bar and save the file.
Steps to edit a PDF file using CutePDF Editor
- Go to “www.cutepdf-editor.com” using any web browser.
- Then scroll down and then click on “Start to edit your PDF file now”.
- Select a PDF file and click on “Open”.
- Make the desired changes in the selected document.
- To apply these changes you need to click on “OK” in the bottom-right of the dialog box.
- Then click on “Save” to save the file with the updated changes.
Steps to edit a PDF file using Adobe Reader DC
- Open the PDF file that you want to edit in Adobe Reader.
- There is an option “Tools” on the upper-left of the screen, click on it.
- You will see a pencil icon on the top-left of the window, click on “ Fill and Sign”.
- Then you can add or edit the text in the document.
- Then go to the menu bar and click on “ Save” to save the edit that you made to your PDF file.
Editing a PDF file using Inkscape
It is a popular image editor which helps in editing the scanned files for free. Some PDF editing functions are available only in the paid version of Inkscape. The steps to edit a PDF file using Inkscape are mentioned below:
- Create a new document in Inkscape.
- Then click on “File” and import the original PDF file that you want to edit.
- You can import only one page at a time using Inkscape.
Editing a PDF file using LibreOffice
- Firstly, you need to open the file that needs to be edited.
- There is no need to import the PDF files when you are using LibreOffice.
- You just need to launch LibreOffice and go to open the file.
- Make the required edits on the selected PDF file.
- Save the file.
Editing a PDF file using Soda PDF
It is very easy to edit the text in a PDF file using Soda PDF. Steps to edit using this tool are mentioned below:
- Select the file that you want to edit from cloud storage or your computer.
- Open the Soda PDF tool and your selected file will automatically open in this tool.
- You can try this PDF editor for free.
Steps to edit a PDF file in Paint
- The PDF file should be converted to an image in batch.
- Then PDF elements should be launched on the computer.
- Then click on “Batch Process” option on the main window.
- A new window will open in the PDF element.
- Then select a format that is compatible with paint and opens the converted file in the paint.
Steps to edit a PDF file using AbleWord
- All you need to do is to open the PDF document that you want to edit.
- AbleWord automatically opens the PDF in an editable format.
- Make the required changes in the selected PDF file.
- Then Save the file in any format (Word or PDF).