Siri is the talk of the past now as another voice is taking the stage. What is it you ask? Well, what else can it be? Amazons new “Alexa”. Alexa is a virtual assistant developed by Amazon. And trust me its abilities and capabilities can put you to shame. Other than activities like voice interaction, music playback, making to-do lists, providing various information such as general knowledge and news, Alexa is also able to control other smart devices by using itself as a home automation system.
Do you think these skills are less? That’s surprising, but we guess amazon thought in the same manner too. Hence Alexa also has a very important feature in it where you can add to its skills. These skills are made by third-party vendors and can be installed according to your need. In this article, we will take you through the steps of how to add these skills to your Alexa.
The first step is making a decision. Though that sounds very head-wrecking, trust us it’s not. We’re just trying to intimidate you. Alexa skills can be added in 3 ways through voice enabling, through the Alexa application on your smartphone or through the website. Each of the following steps will have three parts explaining all three processes.
Our next step is to open the applications or getting the device started.
- If you prefer voice enabling call out saying “Alexa” or “Echo” or “Amazon” as per your settings.
- If you choose the application on your smart device then tap the Alexa app icon and press the three lines in the left corner of the screen and tap on the “skills” button.
- If you choose website go on the Amazon website that is https://www.amazon.com. Then click on the departments drop down which is in the top left corner and right below the Amazon logo. In the drop-down select “Echo and Alexa” and then click on “Alexa Skills” in the tab that opens, under “Content and Resources”.
Now, most of you won’t be sure what skills are present in Alexa but Alexa only helps you with that. It can give you a list of skills according to the category you want.
- For voice-enabled say “Alexa recommend me some skills” if you want some specific category skills to say “Alexa, recommend me some ‘category name’ skills”. This will give you the list of the skills available.
- In the application click on a category to see the list of categories and then choose the category to get the skills options
- On the website, you can search for a particular skill by typing it in the search tab or you can choose a category.
Now that you have chosen the skills you want all you have to do is get it.
- For voice enabling, all you have to do is say “Alexa, enable ‘skill name’”. also if you want to disable any skill say “Alexa disable ‘skill name’”. for example if you want to enable Uber, say “Alexa, enable Uber” and likewise for disable.
- In the application tap on the skill, you want which will give you more information about the skill. Then click on the big blue button that says “Enable”. In the application, you can manage these skills by going into “skills > Your Skills”
- Similarly, on the website choose the skill and tap on it to get more information and then click the “Enable” button which is yellow in color in case of the website. To manage your skills click on “Your Skills”.
There you have it folks, the skills you wanted to be added to your new age butler. If only actual working was this easy.