Since a long time, there is no denying that we (users) have been using the Google search engine and have found it best from others. Yes, it has grown that big and has left us so dependent on itself that it just cannot happen so quickly without it. Google tracks down almost all our activities with the help of our smart devices, especially in android devices. Over the past years, Google has left its sensitive origins behind to become one of the biggest companies in the world that can provide a wide range of devices and services to its customers. To keep those services free, Google records the data about you and uses it to display the treated advertising-their main source of revenue.
Fortunately, DuckDuckGo might be the privacy-focused search engine that users might have been looking for to protect their personal information online. The internet has become the tightly woven web of advertising trackers monitoring your every move and even you’re each and every interest. Back in the days, the ubiquity of Google search was astounding. According to the reports of Statistic Google has powered over 86% of the desktop searches worldwide. Google has come to dominate the search to the extent that is becoming a verb in itself, but there is another best search engine available for the users to use i.e. DuckDuckGo.
Before we dive into the comparison between Google vs DuckDuckGo search engine, let us first get some detail about what is DuckDuckGo, as we all are aware of Google so let’s discuss about DuckDuckGo.
What is DuckDuckGo?
DuckDuckGo is the popular free search engine, as describes itself as the “search engine which does not track you”. There is most of the search engine that collects search data, with Google even linking that data to your account and recorded data is used for personalizing your search results and to show your targeted advertising. But this search engine does not track you and will opt not to personalize your search results.
The sites have grown steadily since its inception, going from the average searches of about 79,000 daily in the year 2010 to 23.5 million daily and 16 billion total searches of April 2018.
DuckDuckGo was first launched in the year 2008 by the founder and CEO Gabriel Weinberg. The organization currently has 45 employees working behind the scenes to continue to the development of DDG. Talking about the search engine privacy, it can be more crucial to know a bit about the people that run the organizations you entrust with your data. Before creating DDG, Gabriel Weinberg has developed one of the most significant “first wave social networks”, which was named as database. Due to the major instanced on user privacy, the more own is regularly quoted as an expert source by the news community.
Comparison between DuckDuckGo vs Google
While comparing DuckDuckGo vs Google 2019 search, the slant community have recommended DuckDuckGo to most of the users. It always happens when someone (user) asks this question, “What are the best internet search engines”? DuckDuckGo is one of the 1st ranked while Google search is on rank number 5th. The most crucial reason that people opt to DuckDuckGo browser download is that it does not collect or share any personal information and their privacy page has a great rundown on why privacy is important. The prominent repercussion of this is that DDG does not use the data collected to tailor the results, by avoiding exposure to the filter bubbles.
Pros of DuckDuckGo & Google
Let us discuss the benefits of using both the search engine that will clear more about which search engine is better to use as:
- DuckDuckGo, for select queries it pops up the box which supplies the exact answer. For eg: searching stopwatch will pop up the stopwatch, asking words like- will show the list of related words typing the password, will generate the password, and many more.
- The ads are clearly dabbled and they are non-obtrusive based on the searched keywords and in their visibility mode, there is no tracking involved. All you have to do is just to remember that the site the ad links might track you down.
- DDG allows customizing almost any aspect of the search engine appearance which also includes fonts, page width, alignment, header behavior, site icons, and has the selection of premade themes available as well.
- Most relevant results
- Most widely used search engine
- Easy to use and navigate
- Still has many times comes up with best results
- Have many features in a more customized manner
Cons of DuckDuckGo & Google
Now, let us discuss the disadvantages of both the search engines as:
- This search engine has time limit only for a month, so you can search results up to a month only.
- In search results, there are no dates when the pages were published, which do not allow you to immediately know if the page is outdated or not.
- They store no information about you, but this will result in absolutely awful search results and having to modify your search terms 4-5 times to get what you are actually looking for.
- It potentially invasive of your privacy, as Google records your searches
- Has censors search results
Google has become the dominant force in the search by offering your personalized search and they built useful apps and services that capture even more of our data to improve your search results further. However, in the light of several privacy scandals, we are becoming more cautious with pour data.
Whereas DuckDuckGo reviews have appealed to the privacy-minded but more importantly, it is not a niche product. With a wide range of useful features, some which are not even available on Google. DuckDuckGo shows that user privacy and usefulness are not mutually exclusive.
Hence, it is entirely up to the users, which search engine (DuckDuckGo vs Google search result) they would like to use for searching for anything on their web.